Scleral Lenses - What's the craze about?
The Hype is Real; All You Need to Know
Scleral contact lenses have become increasingly popular and the lens of choice for treating keratoconus and other corneal conditions not correctable with glasses or standard contact lenses. However, scleral lenses can also provide great comfort and vision in the treatment of a variety of eye conditions as well as simple vision problems normally treated by glasses and standard (soft) contact lenses.
High Prescription: Let’s be blunt…are your glasses coke bottles? Has your doctor told you that your vision is way too bad to wear contacts? Prescription over -12.00? Scleral contact lenses can correct almost any strength of prescription.
- Nearsightedness (Myopia) and Farsightedness (Hyperopia) Scleral lenses can easily correct low, moderate, and high amount of myopia and hyperopia with the advantage of giving clearer vision and better comfort than most soft and rigid gas permeable contact lenses.
- Astigmatism: Everyone has some degree of astigmatism which can be difficult to correct with glasses or standard contact lenses. In most cases, scleral contact lense can give clearer vision and better comfort that other astigmatism treatments.
- Presbyopia: Past 40 years old and can’t see up close? Scleral lenses also offer a multifocal which can reduce or eliminate your need for reading glasses.
- Poor contact lens comfort: Red, painful eyes with your soft contact lenses? Allergic to soft contact lenses or multipurpose contact lens solutions? Scleral contact lenses rarely have allergic or sensitivity issues and the solutions used with scleral lenses are preservative free and eyeball friendly.
- Hate your Rigid (HARD) Gas Permeable Contacts? Rigid contact lenses can be a serious pain in the eye as they rest on the cornea which is full of pain receptors. Scleral contact lenses rest on the scleral which has fewer pain receptors making them much more comfortable than rigid lenses.
- Dry Eye: Chronic dry eye can be a big problem for many patients and the endless use of lubrication drops or expensive medicated drops can be frustrating. Scleral contact lenses cover the cornea completely, prevent tear evaporation, and keep a thin layer of preservative free saline under the lens to bathe the cornea and reduce dry eye problems.
- Sports Vision and Athletics: Contact lenses popping out of your eyes and blurry vision while playing your favorite sport? Scleral contact lenses offer a very stable, snug fit on the eye and superior vision for all of your activities.
- Post LASIK blurry vision: Have you had LASIK or other refractive surgeries only to have the return of blurry vision that cannot be corrected by glasses or standard contacts? Scleral contact lenses can cover up the distorted post LASIK cornea and give you the clear vision that you want.
- As you can see there are a wide variety of conditions where Scleral lenses can be useful. We are certified to fit these lenses in our office. Please call or text 704-821-5009 for more information.